Black Bat (Chicken) Wings For Halloween
This ghoulish version of chicken wings might look scary, but don’t worry – they’re perfectly delicious! They begin with a spicy sweet marinade infused with lemon and other flavors, then darkened with a touch of black food coloring. Bake them, and they’re a spooky addition to your Halloween party buffet.
- 4 pounds chicken wings whole
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon gel-type black food coloring
- Combine the honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, hoisin sauce, hot sauce, ginger, and cloves, in a large bowl.
- Whisk together until the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Add the black food coloring one drop at a time, stirring as you do, until you achieve a nice dark shade.
- Open up the joint of each chicken wing so it looks like a bat wing.
- Add the wings to the marinade, tossing to coat on all sides.
- Cover the bowl, and refrigerate at least one hour, and overnight if desired. Stir occasionally.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the sauce and wings into a large baking dish, ideally with the wings in a single layer.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until the wings are well cooked.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!