Blood And Cara Cara Orange Salad - Sicilian Style
Blood oranges are prized wherever they are grown, including the Moro blood oranges of California, and they infuse the cuisine of Sicily, where they originate. This salad is the perfect mid-winter pick-me-up, full of goodness, flavor, and gorgeous to look at.
- 4 Cara Cara oranges
- 6 blood oranges
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup almonds sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Supreme the oranges by cutting them into slices, and then cutting off the peel.
- Cut the bulb of fennel into quarters. Core and slice it into thin strips. Save the fennel fronts for garnish.
- Julienne the mint.
- Arrange the greens on the bottom on a platter, and arrange the orange slices on top, along with the red onion slices.
- Sprinkle with gorgonzola. You can also use feta if you prefer it.
- Combine the first five ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl and whisk together thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the salad on the platter.
- Sprinkle almonds and fennel fronds on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!