Blood Orange Shortbread
Blood orange lends its uniquely fragrant taste and a blush of color to classic shortbread. This version adds a glaze for a taste sensation that is sure to be a hit at holiday time or anytime you need a boost.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 2 tablespoons blood orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Prepare a 9” by 13” baking pan by greasing lightly.
- Measure the sugar and blood orange zest into a large bowl. Use a fork to toss together.
- Add the butter and blood orange juice, and beat into the sugar mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add the flour and salt and stir gently for a few minutes. The dough should only just hold together.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking pan and chill for about 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 275°F, and bake the cookies for about 35 minutes. The top should be barely golden in color.
- Cut the cookies into squares with a sharp knife and lift them carefully to a cooling rack.
- Mix the orange juice, heavy cream, and sugar in a bowl until thoroughly blended.
- Drizzle over the cookies once they are cooled. You can also dip them into the glaze.
- Refrigerate until the glaze is set.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!