Blood Orange & Spice Shortbread Cookies
Creamy shortbread is a holiday – and everyday! – favorite. This recipe gives it a makeover that leaves the cookies drenched in pink glaze and full of flavor, from sweet blood orange to spicy, all in one mouthful.
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 blood orange zest & juice
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 sprigs rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- Beat the butter together with the sugar, blood orange and lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, rosemary, ginger, and cardamom until blended.
- Add the flour until only just combined with the butter mixture. The dough should be thick and crumbly.
- Cut the dough into about two halves, and roll each into a cylinder on a floured surface.
- If the dough is sticky at this point, wrap it in wax paper and refrigerate it for an hour or two until it firms up.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F when you are ready to bake.
- Slice the cookie dough cylinders into rounds about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place them on a baking sheet about 1-inch apart, and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until just beginning to brown at the edges.
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until blended. More sugar will thicken if you find it is too thin.
- Once the cookies have cooled, you can dip them entirely in the glaze, dip half of each, or drizzle it over the cookies.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!