Broiled Shrimp Skewers With Spicy Grapefruit
This dish is not only delicious – it’s versatile. It’s a quick dinner during the week, but impressive enough for guests. It’s a main dish for four, with a side of rice or salad, or a fabulous appetizer/snack/buffet item you can eat with your hands – just have plenty of napkins ready.
- 1 1/2 pounds large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 grapefruits
- 1 grapefruit zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger root peeled & minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Refrigerate and set aside for at least 30 minutes so that the flavors blend.
- Rinse the shrimp in cold water, and drain. Add them to a bowl, and sprinkle with paprika and coriander. Toss to coat on all sides.
- Peel the 2 grapefruits, removing as much of the white pith as you can. Cut into about 1-inch chunks.
- Prepare the skewers: add one shrimp in the shape of a C, then one grapefruit chunk, and repeat until each skewer is full. Alternatively, you can use each small skewer for one shrimp curled around one chunk of fruit - but increase the number of skewers accordingly.
- Place the skewers on a broiling pan at a medium level under the broiler for about two minutes.
- Brush with the grapefruit dressing on both sides, and return to the oven to broil for about one more minute.
- Drizzle with any leftover dressing and serve.
Note: You’ll need 10 to 12 six-inch skewers. Soak them in cold water for about a half hour before you broil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!