Cara Cara Orange Chicken
Sweet Cara Cara oranges lend their fragrant taste and color to this delicious dish. The sauce combines the orange with garlic and ginger, with honey and brown sugar for a wonderful complement to chicken. You could also use this sauce with fish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on
- 2 Cara Cara oranges zest & juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 1 Cara Cara orange
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over a medium heat. Fry the chicken drumsticks in the hot oil until just golden brown, or about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Fry them in batches if your skillet is too small to hold them all.
- As they are done, place the drumsticks in a large baking dish in a single layer.
- Without cleaning the pan, add the ingredients for the sauce to the skillet.
- Cook, stirring up from the bottom, for about 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, and bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes. The chicken should be fully cooked.
- Garnish with Cara Cara orange slices.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!