Cara Cara Orange Souffle
Light and luscious, sweet pink fleshed Cara Cara oranges add decadent flavor to the light, fluffy texture of a soufflé. Top it with a sweet sauce made with Grand Marnier, and it makes an elegant addition to your Sunday brunch, or lunchtime treat.
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 large Cara Cara orange juice & zest
- 1/4 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 Cara Cara orange zested, peeled & chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish, or four individual ramekins, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and yellow. Add the zest of 1 Cara Cara orange and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Measure the flour into a saucepan, and then add the milk slowly, whisking as you do until thoroughly blended.
- Blend in the egg yolk mixture, stirring as you do.
- Continue to stir over a medium setting until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir in the orange juice, and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, add the egg whites and cream of tartar, along with a dash of salt. Beat with whisk or mixer until soft peaks form.
- Continue to beat as you add 2 tablespoons sugar. The whites should be stiff.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the custard gradually, a quarter or a third at a time.
- Transfer to the prepared soufflé dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes. The soufflé should be puffy and set.
- Add the chopped Cara Cara orange, zest, marmalade, and Grand Marnier to a small saucepan over a medium-low setting.
- Heat until just boiling, stirring as you do. Remove from heat, and allow to cool a few minutes before spooning over the soufflé.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!