Orange Chocolate Toffee
Orange and chocolate go together so well there’s never an excuse needed to bring them together. This recipe, though, is perfect for the holiday season, starting with Halloween when orange and black are the signature colors. Homemade candy is so much better than the store bought kind you’ll never go back.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the water and butter in a saucepan and heat until the butter melts over a medium-low setting.
- Add the sugar and orange juice, and stir until dissolved over a medium-high setting.
- Continue to heat as you stir until it reaches boiling point. Lower the heat to medium, and continue to boil. Stir until the mixture has reached an amber color, and then continue to boil for about 20 minutes. Swirl the saucepan now and then to keep it mixed. If you are using a candy thermometer, it should reach 240F or so.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the orange zest and sea salt.
- Pour into prepared moulds, or an 8" x 8" square pan that has been lined with parchment paper and lightly greased.
- Allow the caramel to cool to room temperature for 2 ro 3 hours, or overnight.
- Cut the caramel into small squares.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave, or use a large pot 1/3 full of water, with a smaller pot inside as a double-boiler.
- Dip the pieces of caramel into the chocolate, and allow to dry on a piece of parchment paper.
- Store covered at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!