Classic Lemon Curd
This recipe for classic lemon curd will soon be a go-to staple in your kitchen. You can use it to liven up cake and ice cream dishes, or just on toast in place of marmalade, and it’s the basis for many other recipes.
- 2 eggs
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice about 4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cut butter into small pieces and allow to come to room temperature.
- Combine whole eggs and yolks, sugar, and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Strain through a fine sieve into another bowl, and cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap, pressing it directly on surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until chilled and firm, at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days).
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!