Creamy Orange Bars With Almond Shortbread Crust
Tangy, sweet, and creamy smooth, these orange bars will quickly become a favorite treat. The crust is made with almond and a touch of orange zest to add flavor as well as a crunchy texture. Perfect for a snack at home or at work.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 oranges zest & juice*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Icing sugar
- Sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9” x 13” baking pan, and line with parchment paper.
- Cut the butter into chunks in a large mixing bowl. Beat until it is creamy in texture.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until it has a fluffy consistency.
- Now, add the flour, almond meal, orange zest and salt until well combined.
- Form the dough into a ball and press it into the bottom of the baking pan you’ve prepared.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The edges should just be starting to show a golden brown color.
- Measure the sugar and flour into a bowl and stir together to combine.
- Add the eggs and whisk until blended.
- Add the orange juice and zest last, blending them into the mixture.
- Pour over the hot crust and bake an additional 20 minutes or so. The filling should be set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to dust with powdered sugar and/or sliced almonds if desired.
*Note: the 4 oranges should make about 1 cup of juice
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!