Crispy Baked Lemon, Pepper & Herb Wings
These baked wings are the perfect addition to hors d'oeuvres trays and holiday parties – or a night in watching movies. With a wonderfully crispy finish, they’re a little less messy than the usual BBQ wings, with a blend of flavors that lights up with the tart goodness of lemon.
Wings & Seasoning
- 4 lb chicken wings
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli pepper flakes
- 1 large lemon
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 F.
- Using a small sharp knife, or a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemon, taking care to only remove the yellow part, and leave the bitter white pith behind.
- Leave the lemon zest in strips, and spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 2 to 3 hours, until the lemon peel has thoroughly dried out.
- Place the dried lemon zest and peppercorns into a spice grinder or a processor until the texture is only a little bit coarse.
- Remove from the processor into a small bowl and add the salt.
- You can increase the recipe and store any left overs in an air-tight jar for up to six months.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, add the garlic, basil, chilli pepper flakes and lemon pepper. Stir to blend.
- Rinse and dry the wings, and add them to a second bowl and drizzle all over with the oil. Toss to coat.
- Add half the seasoning mix, and stir to coat as evenly as possible.
- Spread the wings on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until crispy and browned.
- When the wings are done, remove from the oven. Mix the melted butter with the remaining seasonings, and drizzle over the wings liberally.
Tip: Make the lemon pepper a day ahead, and it’s just an hour from start to delicious finish. Note: This recipe can be appreciated by anyone on a keto diet.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!