Crispy Baked Tofu With Cara Cara Orange Sauce
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free, but if you’re cooking for a family, you don’t have to tell them how good it is for them. It’s light and lit up with the deliciously sweet tang of Cara Cara oranges. The dish goes perfectly with rice, and the crispy baked texture creates an unexpected tofu experience. Experience Chinese take-out at home with this tasty dish.
- 15 ounces extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt pepper, and garlic powder, to taste
Cara Cara Orange Glaze:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or other vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice and zest of one Cara Cara orange
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Chopped scallions
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add the Chinese five-spice, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the tofu to the bowl and toss them to coat.
- Place the tofu cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes in the oven. The tofu should be crisp.
- While the tofu bakes, add the Cara Cara orange juice and zest, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and broth to a small bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet on a medium setting and add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add the orange mixture to the saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with about an equal amount of water to make a paste. Stir it into the sauce, continuing to stir until it thickens. Once the sauce has reached the consistency you want, turn off the heat.
- When the tofu is ready, take it out of the oven. Toss the tofu and sauce together to coat thoroughly.
- Top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!