Luscious, fragrant oranges are packed with nutrition – and also with cleaning power. This effective green cleaning recipe uses oranges and other natural, everyday substances for a naturally fragrant cleanser. Add it to white vinegar, also an acidic cleanser that is biodegradable, and has disinfectant properties, and you’ll be able to clean most surfaces in your home without using harmful chemicals.
NOTE: This makes a very concentrated cleanser. When you are ready to use it, be sure to add 1 parts water to 1 part cleansing concentrate.
Orange Vodka Herb Cleanser
1 part white vinegar
1 part vodka, use single ingredient spirits
2 cups fresh herbs, sage, rosemary & thyme
2 large oranges, peel only
- Add the herbs to a large mason jar. Use the back of a tablespoon (or a muddle) to crush them. You should smell the fragrance.
- Chop the orange peels into about 1-inch pieces, and add to the jar. Try to distribute them fairly evenly.
- Fill about halfway with white vinegar, then the other half with vodka, making sure you submerge all the herbs and orange peels.
- Cover the jar tightly, shake it, and place in a cool place out of direct sunlight, like a kitchen cupboard.
- Leave the mixture for about two weeks, shaking it every two or three days.
- When it’s ready, strain out the herbs and peels (or leave them if you like!), and add to a clean spray bottle.
- Dilute 1:1 with water and it’s ready to use.