Easy Lemon Cake
Here’s a cake that’s bright and richly flavored, with a nice combination of tart and sweet. It’s easy to make, and perfect even for kids or novice bakers. To serve, add a dusting of powdered sugar, and a few berries for color.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- Powdered sugar to top
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
- Add the sugar and butter to a large mixing bowl, and beat until the combination is light and fluffy, and a light yellow in color.
- Continue to beat as you add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and sift to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the yogurt.
- Add the lemon zest and juice last, and beat until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan, and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes and remove from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar and top with lemon slice, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!