Festive Punch Bowl
There’s nothing like a big, beautiful punch bowl full of a colorful, delicious punch to set the tone and get the party started. This version is made to please a crowd with a base of strong tea and lemon juice, and the kick of both Cognac and dark rum. Enjoy!
- 4 Lemons
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 4 tea bags
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice strained (see Instructions)
- 2 1/2 cups Cognac
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- Fresh nutmeg
- Peel the lemons using a very sharp knife, taking care to avoid the white pith, which is somewhat bitter.
- Chop the peels and add them to a large heatproof bowl.
- Measure the sugar onto the lemon peels and using a fork or potato masher, mash the peels and sugar together.
- Boil 1 quart of water in a large pot and add the tea bags.
- Allow the tea to steep for about 5 minutes and then remove the bags.
- Pour the tea onto the sugar/peel mash-up. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the lemon juice. The 4 lemons should come close to the full amount – add more as needed.
- Add the Cognac and dark rum.
- Stir until the liquids are thoroughly blended.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- When you’re ready to serve it, pour the mixture into a punch bowl, add ice to fill, and grate nutmeg on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!