Frozen Lemon Pie
Here’s a variation on the classic lemon pie that’s perfect for hot weather. In fact, it’s a Southern tradition. Made with a graham cracker crust and fresh lemon juice and zest, it’s sure to become a favorite.
- 2 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup golden sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt together in a bowl to blend.
- Add the melted butter, and stir together quickly.
- Spoon into a 9-inch pie pan, and press evenly against the bottom and sides.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Allow it to cool completely at room temperature. You can even make it a day ahead.
- Beat the egg whites until they are foamy. Add the cream of tartar and blend together.
- Add the sugar, and continue to beat until the mixture is stiff, and peaks form when you take out the whisk (or beater if you are using a mixer).
- Now fold in the lemon juice and zest.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are thick and lemon colored.
- Slowly fold the yolks into the egg white mixture.
- Beat the cream in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream gently into the lemon/egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight at least before serving.
- Top with fresh berries, lemon zest curls, or coconut.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!