Greek Style Lemon Beef Stew
Stew is classic comfort food, and this version comes with a taste of the sunny Mediterranean. Serve it with rice, potatoes, or a French stick to sop up the flavorful sauce. Perfect for any day of the week – and it makes a great pick-me-up for your brown bag lunch.
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds stewing beef cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small red onions chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 lemons juice & zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme to garnish
- Add the oil to a large pot or Dutch oven and heat at a medium setting
- Measure the flour, salt, and pepper into a medium sized bowl, and stir to combine.
- Dredge the stewing beef cubes in the flour mixture. Add to the pot, and stir to thoroughly brown on all sides.
- When the meat has browned, add the red onions and garlic, and sauté with the beef for about 3 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the lemons juice and zest, oregano, and white wine to the pot and allow it to come to a simmer for about 2 minutes, until the wine has reduced somewhat.
- Add the beef broth to cover the meat and stir to combine.
- Lower heat to medium-low setting, and simmer, covered for at least 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is very tender. Different cuts of meat may require more time.
- Garnish with fresh thyme just before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!