Greek-Style Lemon Spinach Rice
In Greece, there is a classic comfort food dish known as spanakorizo, blending the flavorful goodness of spinach, lemon, and rice. Our modified version has a few extra touches, but retains the classic creamy texture of the original. It’s meant to be a main dish, but you can cut the recipe in half and use it as a side dish to fish or chicken.
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 2/3 cups Chicken broth
- 2 Lemons zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh spinach rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dry mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Lemon slices to serve
- Heat the butter in a heavy skillet or saucepan over a medium low setting. As it melts, add the shallots, and saute until they begin to turn golden brown, or about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2 minutes. The rice grains should look opaque.
- Turn the burner to low, and add the broth and half the lemon juice, stirring constantly. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the spinach and discard any of the tough ends.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, and wilt the spinach along with the remaining lemon juice and lemon zest, dry mint, and dill.
- After the rice has been cooking for about 10 minutes, stir in the spinach and seasonings, and continue to cook.
- When the rice is done, and you are read to serve, stir in the pine nuts, and top with feta. Garnish with lemon slices to squeeze on as needed
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!