Greek-Style Lemon Turkey Meatballs
Here’s a lively makeover for the humble meatball. This version is made with lean turkey and creamy feta, and flavored with a combination of lemon and a Greek style combination of spices and herbs. You’ll want to make extra so you can have leftovers.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 6 ounces feta finely crumbled
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and brush the foil lightly with some olive oil.
- Add the turkey to a bowl, along with the feta, lemon zest, breadcrumbs, and egg. Use a fork to loosely mix the ingredients together.
- Season with dill, 2 cloves garlic, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Use your hands until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Roll the meat mixture into small balls about 1 1/2” in diameter. As you finish each, place it in the baking sheet that you’ve prepared, about 1” apart.
- When they are all finished, brush the tops with oil, and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Finish them by placing them under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Prepare the lemon yogurt sauce by whisking the lemon juice, remaining clove of garlic (minced), and yogurt together.
- Garnish with parsley, and serve with flatbread and yogurt sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!