Grilled Oysters, Clams & Mussels with Spicy Lemon Butter
Grilling imparts a uniquely smoky flavor to oysters and other shellfish. We add a spicy lemon butter to dip in, plus grilled bread, for a delicious meal that comes together in about half an hour. Add a side salad, and it’s a delightful summer dinner.
- 2 pounds oysters clams or mussels
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 2 lemons
Lemon Spice Butter
- 3 ounces Spanish chorizo finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves coarsely chopped
- Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Cut the Italian bread into slices, and the lemons in half.
- You can grill the lemon halves either on an upper or lower grill until they have charred stripes, or about 10 minutes.
- Place the bread on the top of the grill, and brown until toasty and ready to sop up any leftover butter, or about 3 minutes.
- Scrub the shells, and place the shellfish on the grill.
- Close the grill and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the shells open.
- Discard any that do not open.
Lemon Chorizo Butter
- Add the butter to a small bowl.
- Cook the chorizo sausage in a skillet over a medium setting for about 2 minutes. The fat should be starting to render.
- Add the chorizo to the butter, scraping the fat from the pan to add to the mixture.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and parsley. Mix together with a fork.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Cut the grilled lemons into wedges to serve.
- Divide the oysters, mussels, and/or clams between four plates, and serve with grilled Italian bread and grilled lemon wedges.
- Drizzle the lemon chorizo butter over the shellfish, or divide into small bowls and serve on the side for dipping.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!