Lemon Almond Cookies
Almond cookies are a tradition in many households, especially around the holidays. This version adds the tart burst of lemon goodness for a twist on the old that is sure to become a new favorite – on holidays or any day.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds toasted
The night before:
- Measure the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl, and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy in texture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, continuing to beat the mixture until it is thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, measure the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, almonds, and salt. Stir together until well blended.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, folding the ingredients together until just blended.
- Continue with the next third and the next. Do not over mix the dough.
- Cut the dough into three equal parts. Roll each out into a log about 12-inches long on a floured counter (or wax paper).
- Place the dough on a baking sheet and cover. Allow it it to chill in the fridge for about 8 hours, or overnight.
The next day:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF, and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Take the logs of dough out of the oven, and cut each into slices about 1/2-inch thick.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes. The edges should be just starting to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack until room temperature.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container, or frozen.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!