Lemon Avocado Hummus
This recipe combines the best of guacamole and hummus with a delicious boost of lemon flavour and goodness. White beans and spinach add protein and other nutrients for a healthy snack you can eat with toasted pita, spread on crackers or bread, or as a delicous creamy layer in a wrap.
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup Fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Food Processor Method:
- Drain the beans into a strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Peel the avocado and cut away the seed.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Add more olive oil as needed to create just the right texture.
- You can make it without a food processor by heating the beans in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Drain - keeping the liquid in case you need it to thin the hummus - and mash the beans with a large fork or potato masher.
- Mash the avocado the same way and blend with a large fork or whisk.
- Chop the spinach, garlic, and scallions as finely as you can, and mash with the side of a heavy knife before stirring into the mixture.
- The result will be more rustic in texture - i.e. somewhat uneven, but still an appealing blend of colors and flavors.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!