Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding
Tart lemons and juicy blueberries make a perfect pairing. The two nutritional powerhouses are brought together in this delightful variation on a dessert classic: bread pudding. It’s a warm dessert made for cooler evenings, and sure to please family and guests alike.
- 4 cups bread cubed
- 4 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 lemon zested
- 3 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Whipped cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350F, and lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and whisk together to blend.
- Continue to stir as you add the milk, lemon zest, and sugar, whisking until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the bread cubes, and fold them over gently into the egg mixture, until the bread has soaked up the custard.
- Let the pudding stand for about 15 minutes, and then transfer into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, until the custard is firm.
- Measure the blueberries, water, and sugar into a saucepan over a medium-high setting.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, lower the heat and continue to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The blueberries should begin to break apart, and the sauce should thicken.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Let the pudding cool for about 30 minutes before serving drizzled with sauce, and topped with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
NOTE: For best results, used day old French bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!