Lemon Cinnamon Cookies
Light and chewy on the inside, sparkling with a cinnamon coating on the outside, these cookies blend unexpected flavors into a delightful blend. The cookie is tangy with lemon and just a kiss of cinnamon, baked with cinnamon and sugar for a tasty contrast. They’re perfect with coffee, tea, or any favorite beverage.
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
4 hours before you bake:
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Continue to beat as you add the sugar until the texture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, and beat to combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, lemon zest, baking powder and salt. Sift together to distribute evenly.
- Just before you add the dry ingredients, stir the lemon juice into the butter mixture.
- Add half the dry ingredients into the butter-egg mixture, folding it over to blend.
- Add the second half, and continue to stir to blend the dough thoroughly.
- Gather the dough into a ball and place it in the bowl. Cover with foil or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. The dough should be very firm.
Coat and bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a shallow dish or bowl to blend.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge. Take it by the heaping teaspoon, and roll each spoonful roughly into a ball (it doesn’t matter how perfect it is!)
- Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat on all sides. When they are coated, place them about 1-inch apart on the baking sheet. Press into each slightly to flatten the ball – they will spread into circular cookies as they bake.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the oven. They should be golden brown on the outside, and firm to pick up with a spatula. The cookies will be quite soft and chewy.
- For crispier cookies – including the cinnamon coating – leave in the oven for 1 or 2 minutes longer.
- Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before using a spatula to remove to a serving plate.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!