Lemon Cream Pie
Lemon meringue pie is delicious, of course, but lemon cream pie adds a luscious, creamy texture to the filling, with a whipped cream topping. Just to make it interesting, we've added almonds and lemon zest to the graham cracker crust for an extra flavorful treat.
Graham Cracker Crust
- 9 graham crackers flat
- 3/8 cup almonds coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon golden sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 large eggs yolks lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest finely grated
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Crush the graham crackers and stir in the ground almonds. You can use a food processor to pulse the graham crackers if you have one.
- Add the crackers and almonds to a large bowl, and stir in the sugar to blend.
- Add the melted butter, stirring until combined into a thick mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate, and press it firmly into the bottom and sides.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the oven, until light golden brown.
- Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to a heavy saucepan. Use a whisk to blend in the milk and lemon juice.
- Set the heat to a medium-high setting and stir constantly as it bubbles and thickens.
- Once it reaches boiling, reduce the heat to a low setting, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a bowl, add the lightly beaten egg yolks. Add one cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks slowly, whisking as you do. The idea is to prevent the eggs from heating up too quickly - before they blend in.
- Now, add that eggy mixture back into the saucepan, and return to a medium high setting. Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove from the heat for the last time, and stir in the butter and lemon zest, whisking until thoroughly blended in.
- Transfer the lemon cream to a bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once it has cooled, whisk in the Greek yogurt, and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust, and refrigerate until it has fully set and chilled.
- Add the whipping cream and icing sugar to a bowl, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top the pie with dollops of whipping cream, and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Note: You will need about four lemons to render the juice you need - the zest is split between the crust, filling, and garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!