Baked donuts take out the fuss of deep frying while leaving the delicious taste. This version is brightened with lemon and your choice of either a glaze or sugar coating. They are sure to be a hit at the next brunch buffet.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yogourt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated
- 4 tablespoons to 5butter melted
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- You'll need two donut pans (six-cavity each). Prepare them with a light coating of nonstick cooking spray.
- Measure the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Sift together until well blended.
- In a second bowl, add the eggs, butter, yogurt, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture until smooth and well blended.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir together. The batter should be smooth, but not over-mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared donut pans.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. The visible edges of the donuts should begin to turn a light golden color. Test by touching the tops of the donuts lightly - they should spring back.
- Remove from the oven and allow the donuts to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the pans.
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest in a bowl, and use a fork or the back of a spoon to blend them together. You can also grind them together in a food processor.
- One by one, dip the donuts in the melted butter, and then in the sugar/lemon coating.
- Blend the icing sugar and lemon juice together until the sugar has melted into a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle over the donuts liberally.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!