Lemon Garlic Spice Tofu
Lemon, garlic, and savory herbs add delicious flavor to tofu. Then, a crispy coating seals in the flavor and adds texture. It’s a delectable plant-based meal that’s easy enough to make any day of the week.
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu drained, pressed
For the coating:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Marinade the tofu:
- Slice the tofu block into eight pieces.
- Reserve the zest from one lemon and set aside for now. Take all the other ingredients for the marinade, and add them to a medium bowl. Mix well together, and then pour the liquid into dish with a lip, or a large ziplock freezer bag.
- Add the pieces of tofu, turning them gently to coat on all sides. Marinade for at least 1 hour, and up to 3 days.
Bake the tofu:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the tofu is marinated to your liking, remove it from the dish or bag, but save any leftover marinade liquid. Pour it into a bowl if you’ve used a bag.
- Add the flour to a second bowl.
- In a third bowl, mix the panko crumbs, the lemon zest you’ve set aside, nutritional yeast, thyme and garlic powder thoroughly.
- Coat the tofu slices by coating them in the flour first, then dipping them into the marinade, and last into the herbed panko mixture. As you finish each slice, place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all the slices.
- Bake in the oven to a crisp light golden color for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Note: You can marinade the tofu for up to 3 days ahead of time for maximum flavor.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!