Lemon, Ginger & Soy Roasted Chicken
Turn your everyday roast chicken into a taste sensation with this Asian-inspired recipe. It uses ginger and soy sauce, together with tangy lemon, to infuse it with flavor. Add rice and steamed or stir-fry veggies, and it’s a memorable meal.
- 1 1/2 inch ginger thinly sliced
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 1 head garlic halved across the middle
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Slice one lemon in half, and cut the other into quarters. Set aside for now.
- Take about 2/3 of the sliced ginger, and spread it across the bottom of a large roasting pan. Set the whole chicken on top.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 of the sliced ginger and one bunch of the green spring onions. Toss together, and use this to stuff the chicken, along with one half lemon, and half the head of garlic.
- Add the other half of the garlic to the roasting pan beside the chicken.
- Take one of the lemon quarter wedges and juice it into a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of the soy sauce and melted butter, and stir together. Drizzle over the whole chicken and the half head of garlic, reserving a little for basting.
- Let the roasting pan with the chicken sit at room temperature for about an hour.
- Place the chicken in the oven at 375°F and roast for one hour, basting occasionally with the remaining butter/soy/lemon mixture, along with the juices.
- Add the remaining green onions and lemon wedges to the pan, and roast for another 30 minutes or so. The juices should run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and place on a platter. Arrange the roasted garlic beside it. Discard the lemon wedges and green onions.
- Place the roasting pan on a medium heat, and allow it to simmer. Add the sugar, hoisin sauce, remaining soy sauce, and the juice from the remaining half lemon. Stir in any pan juices and simmer for a few minutes. The sauce should thicken slightly.
- Serve the sauce over the meat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!