Lemon Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A tangy dash of lemon added to your favorite comfort food? What could be better than that? Dress up your everyday grilled cheese sandwiches with the taste and goodness of lemons, with a dash of herbs to to add layers of flavor. Add a small salad, and it’s a gourmet lunch.
- 1 lemon sliced very thin with a sharp knife
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup basil chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 slices Italian-style bread
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the lemon thinly, and remove any seeds.
- Combine the feta, lemon zest, and basil in a small bowl, and mix together.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine the butter and Parmesan cheese to form a spread.
- You will be making four sandwiches. Brush the Parmesan mixture on one side of each of the pieces of bread. This will be the outside – the side that is cooked against the skillet.
- Assemble the sandwiches in layers – first, a layer of mozzarella (using half,) then the lemon slices, third, the feta herb mixture, then the last half of the mozzarella, before topping it with the second slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet to a medium high temperature. Grill the sandwiches on one side until the Parmesan is browned, and the cheese melting, then flip over to brown the other side.
- Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!