Lemon Herb Pot Roast
A tender, fragrant pot roast with root vegetables is classic comfort food, and a great way to get a group to the table – whether that’s family, friends, or guests. This version is infused with the flavors of herbs and fresh lemons, making a delicious sauce over a tasty meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 beef chuck shoulder roast 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoran
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes cut in half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until tender.
- Add the beef roast to the Dutch oven and brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with basil, marjoram, pepper, salt, and lemon zest as you brown.
- Try to distribute the seasonings evenly over the roast as you turn it. Once the meat is browned on all sides, add the lemon juice and beef broth.
- Cover, and cook over a low to medium-low setting for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork tender.
- Add the vegetables about 30 to 40 minutes before the meat is done to cook together.
- Once the vegetables are tender, remove the meat and vegetables to a serving dish and set aside.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl, and then stir the mixture into the juices left in the pot to thicken.
- Spoon the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!