Lemon Lentil Soup
Lentil soup is a comfort food, and it’s also packed with nutrition. This vegan version of the dish is full of flavor, with garlic, spices, and lemon zest and juice to tease the taste buds. It’s filling and full of goodness for the perfect lunch or dinner option.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper freshly cracked to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt to serve
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Sautee the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste, and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, and stir in the cumin, cayenne pepper, and curry powder. Add the lentils.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft.
- If you like a smooth texture, you can puree the soup at this point with a blender or food processor. If you do, return it to the pot for the next step.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, and salt and pepper to taste, stirring to blend in the flavors.
- Now add the spinach, stirring until the leaves are wilted and blended into the soup.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve with a dollop of plain yogurt on top
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!