Lemon Mushroom Soup
Classic cream of mushroom soup gets a modern – and very tasty – makeover in this recipe, that includes more veggies, herbs, cream cheese, and the bright taste of lemons. It makes a satisfying first course or main dish, and keeps well for leftovers at lunch during the week.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 carrots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup green coriander chopped
- Saute the onion in the olive oil in a large stock pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrot slices and saute, stirring, for about 4-5 minutes until the carrots are softened.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the pot, bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover, allowing the soup to simmer.
- Blend the cream cheese, basil, and thyme together in a large bowl, using a whisk or mixer.
- Add about 2 cups of the simmering stock to the cream cheese little by little, stirring constantly. When the mixture is thoroughly blended, pour it back into the soup pot.
- Stir to blend.
- Remove the pot from the heat, adding pepper, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- To serve, divide the green coriander into four portions. Place each in a soup bowl, and then pour the soup over the greens.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!