Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
This loaf is tangy and moist, with a sweet lemony glaze topping. It’s perfect for breakfast or brunch, and with its bright lemon flavor, it makes the perfect coffee break snack, or lunch box treat for the kids. Best of all, it’s quick and easy to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 lemons zested
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees, and prepare a 10-inch loaf pan by greasing it lightly.
- Measure the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Mix together to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Add the butter, sugar, and lemon zest to a second bowl, and cream together using a wire whisk.
- Add the eggs as you continue to stir the batter.
- Fold about a third of the flour mixture, a third of the lemon juice, and a third of the milk into the butter mixture. Repeat twice, stirring gently, until all the ingredients are just incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Beat the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until the glaze is smooth. It will keep thinning as you continue to stir.
- Take the loaf from the oven and allow to thoroughly cool before you drizzle with the lemon glaze.
Note: You can freeze the loaf – unglazed – for 2 to 3 months, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!