Lemon Raspberry Ice Cream Bars
Ice cream cake is a favorite with kids of all ages, and the perfect treat for a hot summer day. It begins with creamy, tangy lemon curd, with a graham cracker crust. Add red raspberries, and it’s fit for impressing company.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
Ice Cream Bars:
- 9-10 large graham crackers
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream softened (but not liquid!)
- 2.5 cups raspberries
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and stir together with a whisk over a medium setting.
- Continue to stir and cook until the mixture begins to thicken. It should take 7 to 10 minutes or so.
- Now, add the butter, one small piece at a time, as you continue to stir.
- Once all the butter has been incorporated, continue to cook and stir until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the curd through a sieve into a bowl, and stir in the lemon zest and salt.
- Allow the curd to cool completely. You can do it faster by filling the sink with ice, and then placing the bowl into the ice, stirring occasionally as it cools down.
Ice Cream Bars:
- Prepare an 8-inch square baking dish by lightly greasing (or spraying with cooking spray) and lining with either plastic wrap or foil, leaving a bit of an overhang along the edges of the pan.
- In a bowl, blend the vanilla ice cream and lemon zest.
- Line the bottom of the pan with half the graham crackers.
- Spread the ice cream over the crackers, using a spatula to even it out.
- Sprinkle half the raspberries over the ice cream layer.
- Now, spread the remaining graham crackers over the bottom layer.
- Spread the cooled lemon curd over the crackers.
- Top with remaining raspberries.
- Be sure to try and press the layers down gently as you add them.
- Cover the top with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- When it’s ready, you can lift it out of the pan using the overhanging foil or wrap.
- Cut it into squares, and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!