Lemon Rhubarb Squares
Here’s a new riff on an old family favorite – although you don’t need the excuse of a family to make this colorful and flavorful dessert and snack. It’s a reasonably quick weekend project that you can take to work with you for lunch, for the perfect break from the everyday.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 cups rhubarb finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- Icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and lightly grease a 12x9-inch baking dish.
- Add the butter and sugar to a bowl, and cream together until thoroughly blended.
- Add the flour and blend to a crumbly texture.
- Press into the bottom of the baking dish, and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the crust is a very light brown.
- Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and stir to blend.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice, and beat until well blended.
- Now add the rhubarb and coconut, and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour the rhubarb mixture over the crust, and bake the squares in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the fruit mixture is set.
- Allow them to cool completely, then sprinkle with a little icing sugar and cut to serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!