Lemony Mediterranean Chickpea and Eggplant Stew
This recipe is based on a traditional Middle Eastern chickpea and eggplant stew. Braised with tomatoes, spices, and lemon, it's fragrant and flavorful. Serve it with couscous or rice for a classic comfort dish, Mediterranean-style.
- 1 large eggplant abt 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions peeled & diced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 inch fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas 1 large can
1 Hour Before:
- Remove the stem of the eggplant, and peel.
- Chop the eggplant into cubes about 1" around.
- Place the cubes in a collander and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of salt on them, tossing lightly to distribute it evenly.
- Let it sit for about an hour.
- Rinse to remove the salt, and pat dry with clean kitchen towels.
When You're Ready:
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or so on a medium setting.
- Add the ginger, lemon zest, and other spices, cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant cubes, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to prevent the spices from burning.
- Stir in the lemon juice, chopped tomatoes and can juice, vegetable stock, and chick peas.
- Lower the temperature, cover the skillet and cook for about 30 minutes, until the eggplant is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!