Mexican-Style Lemon Rice
The original arroz con lima or Mexican lemon rice typically uses lime together with cilantro. We’ve substituted lemon, adding garlic and shallots for a delicious side dish or even the main attraction with a side of veggies or meat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice preferably basmati
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup shallots chopped
- 2 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 lemons zest & juice
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. When it's hot, add the garlic and onion, and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to a low setting, and add the rice and salt. Continue to saute the mixture for another 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the rice doesn't stick.
- Add the broth and stir together. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and zest for garnish. Add the rest of the lemon zest and juice to the rice and stir.
- Bring the heat up temporarily to bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the rice is tender but not sticky. Add more broth or water if necessary.
- When the rice is done, remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon zest and juice you've reserved, along with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Tip: Make it a vegan option by substituting water or vegetable broth for the chicken stock.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!