Meyer Lemon and Dark Chocolate Shortbread
You won't need a festive holiday or special occasion to crave these delightfully decadent shortbread cookies, made with real butter, and lit up by the zesty contrast of Meyer lemons and dark chocolate. The bright yellow/orange of Meyer lemon zest and dark chocolate brown combination makes an appealing addition to any sweet table or buffet, lunch box or dessert plate.
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 Meyer lemon juiced & zested
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 Meyer lemons juiced
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare an 8" x 8" square baking pan by lightly greasing the bottom. You can also line the pan with aluminum foil.
- Measure the flour and sugar into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into pieces and drop them a few at a time into the mixture.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture has a coarse, mealy texture, gathered into crumbs about the size of peas. Don't over-mix.
- Add the Meyer lemon juice and zest, mixing until the dough just comes together.
- Last, add the chocolate chips with a spoon, folding the dough over until they are just evenly distributed. The dough should be thick and hold together.
- Press the dough into the pan.
- Bake in the oven in a middle rack for about 45 minutes. The cookie should be slightly puffed up in the pan and the edges just turning golden. Do not allow it to brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the icing sugar with the juice of one to two Meyer lemons - just enough to make it into a thin glaze as you stir.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cookies. Allow the glaze to set for about 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!