Meyer Lemon Oat Squares
Elevate your brown bag lunch game with these luscious oat squares lit up with the fragrant tangy taste of Meyer lemons. They make the perfect lunch or snack break. Best of all, they’re easy to make with inexpensive ingredients.
Oatmeal Crust & Topping:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted & cooled to lukewarm
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried coconut shredded or flaked
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 large egg
Meyer Lemon Filling:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice 3-4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest 1-2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, brown sugar, and almonds in a large bowl. Stir together until thoroughly combined. You can also use a food processor.
- Using two knives, cut the butter into the oat and flour mixture until it forms a crumbly texture.
- Stir in the egg to moisten throughout the dough.
- Take half the mixture, and press it into a 9” x 9” square baking pan that you have prepared with a light coating of butter. To be extra careful, you can line the baking dish with foil, and then lightly grease the foil. This will be the crust.
- In a bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, Meyer lemon juice and zest. Pour over the crust.
- Now, crumble the remaining oat/flour mixture on top of the lemon filling.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm.
Note: You can cover and refrigerate them for up to 5 days – and they freeze well too.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!