Meyer Lemon Shaker Style Pie
This pie uses the whole fruit of the Meyer lemon, including the rind, which gives it a full flavor that ranges from sweet to tangy and back. The key is to prepare the filling by letting the Meyer lemon and sugar macerate overnight. This Shaker-style pie is delicious with whipped cream and strong coffee or tea.
- 2 large Meyer lemons
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Flour plus more when you knead and roll the dough
- Dash salt
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted butter chilled and cut into 8 pieces
- 8 tablespoons vegetable shortening chilled and cut into large chunks
- Ice water about 1 cup
- 1 Large egg beaten
For the filling:
- Rinse the Meyer lemons under lukewarm water thoroughly. Pat them dry with a clean towel.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the lemons as thinly as you can.
- Discard any seeds and place the slices in a bowl.
- Add the sugar, stirring to coat all the slices as evenly as you can.
- Set aside at room temperature overnight.
For the pie:
- Prepare a 9-inch pie plate.
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and shortening with a knife or with your hands until the mixture consists of marble-sized lumps.
- Begin to add the ice water a few tablespoons at a time, continuing to toss the mixture together.
- The dough is moist enough when you can squeeze a ball together in your hand.
- Cut the dough in half. Roll each half into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Flour the counter and roll each disk out to about a 12-inch round.
- Place one of the pastry rounds on the bottom of the pie plate.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the filling by adding the 4 beaten eggs, salt, and flour to the lemon and sugar mixture. Combine well but don’t beat.
- Pour the lemon filling into the shell.
- Top with the second pie crust and press around the edges. You can use fingers, a spoon or fork to make a pattern around the edge. Moisten with cold water if it begins to get sticky.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining beaten egg.
- Cut 2-4 vents in the top of the pie with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool before cutting into slices.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!