Orange Ginger Cookies
Add a new combination of flavors to your cookie repertoire. These cookies are fragrant and melt in your mouth good, and they’re perfect for any occasion from after school or work to holidays.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons ½baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup candied ginger finely chopped
- 1 orange zest only
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Beat the butter until it has a light and fluffy texture.
- Add the sugar, continuing to beat, until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg and 1 tablespoon of the milk, and beat until well blended.
- In a second bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Toss with a fork until blended.
- Add the candied ginger and orange zest to the dry ingredients, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the ginger and 1 teaspoon of the orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. You should end up with a thick cookie dough, and you may have to knead it by hand.
- Divide the dough into three even sections, and form each into a 7-inch cylinder.
- Mix the coarse sugar with the reserved candied ginger and orange zest and sprinkle it on your counter. Roll the dough cylinders in it – you shouldn’t use it all up just yet. Wrap the dough cylinders in wax paper or plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 2 1/2 hours. The dough should be firm enough ti slice.
- When it’s ready, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut the rolls into cookie slices about 1/4-inch thick. Arrange them on an ungreased baking sheet, about 1-inch apart. Brush the tops with the 2 tablespoons of milk, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar-orange zest-ginger mixture.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!