Sweet, tangy pummelo has a subtler flavor than its descendant, the grapefruit. That makes it perfect for combining with other tastes and textures in a salsa. Here is a recipe with a couple of variations you can try for variety.
- 1 large pummelo peeled and chopped (see Note)
- 1/2 cup shallots finely chopped
- 4 sprigs coriander root finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Variation #1 – add:
- 4 passion fruits flesh scooped out
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar subst for champagne
- 2 tablespoons red chili flakes
Variation #2 – add:
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper diced
- 1 lime juice & zest
Variation #3 – add:
- 1 orange peeled & chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- Combine all the ingredients, mixing well, in a large bowl.
- You can eat it right away, or cover and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Note: To get at the fruit, you will need a small, sharp fruit knife. Cut away the thick skin and white pith, as much of it as you can. Then, cut the fruit in half. With the knife, you can cut into the membranes over a bowl to release the flesh and juice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!