Pumpkin Lemon Cream Pie
Creamy pumpkin pie and tangy lemon go together so well – and remake a classic holiday favorite. The recipe calls for pumpkin puree, and while we’ve included DIY instructions, you can easily buy it in a can if you don’t have the time. The pie is fragrant and goes down well with a cup of coffee or tea.
- 1 small baking pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs plus the yolk of a third egg
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 9 inch pie crust unbaked
Lemon Cream Layer
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Cut the pumpkin open into two to four large chunks. You will usually have to cut part way, and then pull it apart because the stem is too tough to cut into.
- Scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle the pieces with salt, and roast in the oven (cut side down on a baking sheet) at 400 F for about 45 minutes. The flesh should easily pull away from the skin.
- Allow it to cool, and then scoop the flesh into a food processor.
- Any leftovers can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugars, salt, spices, and 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon zest.
- Stir the pumpkin puree into the mixture and fold over to blend well.
- Add the heavy cream, beating until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell. Add a foil tent for the edges and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake for another 35 to 45 minutes, removing the foil for the last 20 minutes or so. The pie is ready when a clean knife tip inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for at least 1 hour.
- Blend the sour cream with the lemon juice and remaining lemon zest, and the brown sugar until well blended.
- Spoon it evenly over the top of the cooked pie.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts as a finishing touch.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!