Pumpkin & Lemon Soup
Pumpkin and lemon soup is an Australian classic. It has a rich, creamy texture and this version features a savory flavor lit up by the zest and juice of lemon. It's the perfect way to use pumpkin any time of the year.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 lb pumpkin peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 carrot peeled & chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon juiced and zest
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chives finely chopped
- Heavy cream to taste
- Melt the butter at a low temperature in a deep, heavy saucepan. Add the garlic and onions and saute 5 minutes or so until both are soft.
- Add the pumpkin, carrots, stock, lemon juice and zest, and sugar to the pot. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Raise the temperature to a medium low level and allow the pot to come to a simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and allow the soup to cool.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor. You can also smooth it out with an old fashioned potato masher.
- Reheat at a low temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in a dash or two of cream, and add the chives.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!