These muffins are delicious and wonderfully fragrant. They’re perfect for breakfast, or as a snack to take with you during your day at school or at work. They keep well and they’re the perfect fall pick-me-up.
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
10 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup milk
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease 12 muffin cups.
- Sift the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, and salt – together in a bowl.
- In a second bowl, add the butter and beat together with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and juice, and the milk. Blend thoroughly.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until the batter is evenly moist, but no more.
- Add the chopped apple.
- Drop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Stir 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake about 15 minutes in the oven. A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Cool for about 3 to 5 minutes before taking them out of the muffin pan.