Looking for healthy snacks? Hummus is a great addition to your repertoire, chock full of protein from the chickpeas, and low in fat. Add the flavor boost and aroma of delicious Meyer lemons and a dash of garlic, and it turns the traditional favorite into a tasty dip for pita strips at any time of day.
2 cloves of garlic
2 Meyer Lemons
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) – drain if you are using canned
1/4 cup roasted sesame butter (or tahini) or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons extra virgin oive oil – optional
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of salt
Ground black pepper
- Add garlic to a food processor and blend until it is very finely minced.
- Cut the Meyer lemons into 1/4-inch slices, and remove any seeds.
- Add the whole slices, including the skin, to the food processor with the garlic, and blend until smooth.
- Add the well drained chickpeas, and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add tahini or Greek yogurt and blend, but not too much. Mixture should be sooth and creamy in texture. Add olive oil if the mixture seems too thick, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Season with cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated in a covered container until ready to use.