Red Grapefruit & Cheese Appetizers
Ruby red grapefruits – like the Star ruby grapefruit – are rich in vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids, and low in fat. When you combine their luscious tart taste and fragrance with creamy rich cheese, it creates the perfect appetizer. Serve these for guests, or make them for your own evening in front of the TV.
- 2 red grapefruits
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch salt
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Cut away the skin of the grapefruits, and as much of the white pith as you can with a sharp knife. Slice each of the grapefruits into four rounds. Place them on a platter and set aside for now.
- Cut the cheese crosswise into 8 thin slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, honey, shallot, basil, pepper, and salt to a small bowl. Whisk the ingredients together well.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and heat at a medium high setting. Add the cheese and fry for about 2 minutes. Turn and fry on the other side for another 2 minutes. The cheese should be golden brown on both sides.
- To serve, place a slice of cheese on each of the grapefruit rounds. Drizzle each with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with the mint.
Note: Halloumi cheese has a unique texture, and heated, a rich taste. If you can't find it, you can substitute Paneer, Queso Para Frier (or "frying cheese") or Queso Blanco - cheeses that won't melt if you fry them.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!