Salmon with Masala & Pink Lemon
Pretty pink lemons add a decorative – as well as a tasty – touch to this salmon dish that can be made on a grill, or broiled in the oven. Pink lemons are a natural variant of the common Eureka lemon, and have a thicker skin that is typically green with stripes down the length. Inside, the flesh has a rosy shade, and a floral aroma that infuses the fish along with the spices.
- 4 ounces salmon fillets 6each
- 2 large pink lemons zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon garam masala spice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pink lemon sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven broiler at a medium setting.
- Use 1 tablespoon of oil to grease a lipped baking sheet. Place the salmon on the baking sheet.
- Squeeze the juice from the pink lemons into a small bowl, and add the pink lemon zest. Stir together, then spoon over the fillets.
- Sprinkle the fillets with the garam masala spice, and black pepper.
- Place in a middle rack under the broiler for about 20 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
- While the fish is broiling, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet over a medium-high setting.
- Slice the remaining pink lemon and add to the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the lemon slices.
- Cook the lemon slices about 3 minutes, until they start to brown.
- About 5 minutes before the salmon is cooked, remove from the oven briefly, and top with the caramelized pink lemon slices.
- Return to the oven for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- To grill: set up the grill at a medium heat, and grill the salmon fillets on the top rack for about 15 to 20 minutes until done all the way through. To minimize mess on the grill, you can set the fish on a piece of aluminum foil to cook.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!