Seared Cod with Meyer Lemon Sauce
This dish is fit for any weather or season, spotlighting pan seared cod fillets with a zesty lemon flair. First, you add a little lemon zest to coat the fillets, then you sear them to a tender goodness. Add a fragrant Meyer lemon sauce, and it's a flavorful and healthy dinner.
- 4 cod fillets
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Meyer Lemon Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large shallot sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry prosecco
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 2 Meyer lemons zest & juice
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons roasted almonds chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Turn the oven on to 200°F. You'll use it to keep the fish warm later while you make the sauce.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, and Meyer lemon zest to a large plate, ideally with a bit of a raised edge. Use a fork to swish the ingredients together.
- Rinse the cod fillets under cold water, and pat lightly dry with clean paper towels.
- Coat the fillets on either flat side in the seasoned flour mixture. Don't worry about the edges.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet to a medium high heat. Add the fillets and cook for about 5 minutes on one side before turning - until the fish is golden brown.
- Turn the fillets and cook on the other side about 3 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
- Transfer to a baking sheet or dish, and place gently in the warming oven until the sauce is done.
- Add the butter to the skillet, and melt, stirring in any bits from the fish.
- Cook the shallots and garlic in the butter until softened, or about 3 minutes.
- Using a whisk, stir in the prosecco and crème fraîche. Turn the burner on to medium high, and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until it has reduced to under 2 cups.
- Add the Meyer lemon zest and juice into the sauce, and remove from the heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the fish from the oven and divide between four plates.
- Just before serving, add the chopped almonds and parsley to the sauce.
- Pour over the fish.
Note: This dish will go perfectly with roasted root vegetables.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!