Spiced Citrus Mulled Wine Three Ways
Mulled wine is a holiday classic enjoyed by many European traditions, and a flavorful way to warm up any cool evening. At its base is a bottle of dry red wine, lemon and orange, and spices. Just what spices you add will create whole new nuances for you – and your guests – to enjoy.
- 1 bottle red wine Pinot Noir, Claret or Cabernet Sauvignon work well
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- pinch of nutmeg
Maple Citrus Version:
- 1 orange
- 1 star anise
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
Honey Pepper Version:
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- Using a sharp knife, cut the peel from the lemons, and orange if applicable, in long strips.
- Combine all ingredients except brandy and nutmeg, if applicable, in a large saucepan over a medium setting.
- Allow it to heat to just under a boil, and then lower the temperature.
- Allow the mixture to simmer without boiling for at least 15 minutes, and up to 2 or 3 hours if desired.
- Strain out the spices and citrus peel.
- Garnish with lemon and/or orange slices.
Notes: Serve warm, preferably in a glass or decorative mug with a cinnamon stick as a stirrer.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!